Last weekend reality star Kim Kardashian tweeted Sunday that her luggage had been rifled and some items stolen while she was flying back to Los Angeles from the Cannes Film Festival with Kanye West via British Airways
"Very disappointed in British Airways for opening my luggage & taking some special items of mine! Some things are sentimental & not replaceable,".
She then asked,
"What happened to the days when you could lock your bags! We need to get back to that. There's no sense of security & no trust!"
Not only have I had a suitcase lost by British Airways, I have also had my bags “routinely searched” by airline staff after I have checked in to a flight, unfortunately who ever checked my bag repacked it really badly causing a bottle of lotion to burst all over my clothing. Luckily I was going home from my vacation and I was able to get the lotion out of my clothing but I was still quite upset so I defiantly understand her pain and distress.
I also remember that Victoria Beckham’s suitcases were stolen when she flew with from Miami to Manchester with British Airways in 2000
and Naomi Cambell was arrested after she flew in rage when she was told that one of her bags were lost during a British Airways flight to Los Angeles in 2008.
Unfortunately these things can happen when you travel and the only way to avoid having your luggage lost or tampered with without your consent is to carry it onboard with you and stow it in the overhead lockers, but that's gotten ridiculously hard with new airport rules and I normally pack way more than they would allow in a carry on bag).
I now take the following steps to ensure that in the case that if my luggage is lost or damages in the future I am adequately protected.
1. Type up an excel spread sheet list of all the items that I have packed and their approximate value, I then print out two copies one of which I keep with my travel documents and the other I keep one on file at home
2. Always pack expensive items such as camera laptops in your hand luggage as most if not all travel insurance companies will not be held liable for them if your suitcase is lost
3. Email a copy of your insurance information to yourself and also pack a hard copy in your hand luggage with your travel documents
4. Make sure that not only do I have adequate travel insurance but I am aware of the level of cover I have for lost luggage
5. Keep and file receipts for all expensive clothing shoes and bags I purchase in case I ever need to make another claim
6. Pack any medications I need in my hand luggage as well as a wash cloth, toothbrush make up and change of underwear
7. (Check the airlines rules for travelling with liquids and gels before you pack)
8. Take a picture of your suitcase and store it in your phone's camera or in your digital camera
9. Put some kind of colour tag on your suitcase so that it is easy to recognize, my bag is an unusual shade of hot pink and I have yet to see a duplicate but I still have a luggage tag with my contact details
10. Double bag any liquids creams or gels so that they cannot leak in my bag if they are disturbed
11. Try not to over pack my suitcase as the person searching it will not be bothered to repack it with the same care and precision as me
12. Look your bags with TSA approved Locks (Unfortunately I cannot do this as my suitcase has a combination lock)
Hope this helps you guys with your future travel
You can also check out my previous blog post about the other items I tend to pack in my hand luggage to keep me entertained and comfortable during long haul flights
Has anything like this ever happened to you?
What are your travel tips?